Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kiss Me Through the Phone

As a military family we are well acquainted with the truth in the statement "absence makes the heart grow fonder." In fact, it seems that the longer Allen and I are together the harder it is to be apart. Our little family is so much happier and content when we are in the same place at the same time. Although sometimes that just isn't possible, especially since Allen has such an unpredictable and demanding work schedule.

Since we knew he would be going to Cancun at the beginning of January to stand up in his best friend Stephen's wedding, we decided it would be a great time for me to visit my family with Samuel. It's always more fun when we can come to Houston together, but I knew it would be nice to have some extra hands helping with my rascally toddler while Dad is away and my parents are excited to have their grandson visit them.

I planned my trip for an additional week prior to when Allen would be away, assuming that he would be working a lot as usual. Much to our surprise, due to inclement weather and schedule changes, he ended up with several days off at the beginning of the month. Great for him but a bummer for us since we cant be there to spend it with him!

Being apart from each other is hard enough, but knowing he would be apart from Samuel for almost two weeks has been especially hard on Allen. He was actually worried that Samuel would forget him or not recognize him when we got home. He never should have worried for a second! The very first night we arrived I used my parent's land line to call Allen and let Samuel talk to him too. Now every time he sees that phone he starts saying "Da-Da" and won't stop until I reach him.

Once I have Allen on the line I put him on speakerphone so Samuel can hear his voice. Samuel just stares at the phone and listens. Often times he even babbles back and "tells" Daddy about what we've been doing. The best part is that when we are getting ready to hang up I tell him to give Da-Da a kiss. He lifts the phone up to his mouth a few times and "kisses" Daddy. I love my boys!