Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Good Life

In Cheyenne we live the Simple Life. We are content doing ordinary things like dates to the library, walks in the park and an occasional hamburger downtown. I like the Simple Life and it makes me blissfully happy since I share it with my wonderful husband and precious son.

Although, when I visit my parents I get to experience the Good Life, which I've had the pleasure of living most of my adulthood, and I like that a lot too. Thankfully, Allen enjoys the Good Life as much as I do (even though he doesn't always like the price tag attached). The problem for us is proximity. Cheyenne just doesn't offer the Good Life and Ft. Collins only has a taste. Unfortunately, most military installations are pretty far removed from the Good Life so we will quietly enjoy the Simple Life for many more years.

My definition of the Good Life:
sushi
gourmet/natural markets
designer jeans
Nordstroms
bistros
impeccable customer service
gelato
real leather shoes & handbags
treadmills with built-in T.V.s

I may appreciate the finer things in life but I also pride myself on knowing what is truly important, and it's not material things. Realistically though we all spend money on goods and services and why shouldn't they be high quality? I like to know I am getting my money's worth and buying goods of substance. When it comes to services I like to be treated with respect and dignity. I appreciate the "customer is always right" mentality. Sadly, the quality and respect that were once common in economic trade and are incredibly lacking in today's marketplace. I, for one, am willing to spend a little more for these things.

Samuel enjoying the Good Life at Hubbell & Hudson Market and Bistro in The Woodlands: