Friday, October 8, 2010

Air-pain

I want to start off by saying that having Samuel is wonderful. I really feel that everything is more fun because we have him to share it with us. I love watching him discover something new and explore the world around him. Although, there are definitely things that were much easier before he arrived.

Once upon a time I loved to travel. I would get so excited about the prospect of flying somewhere. It really didn't matter where I was going. Just the idea of going someplace different really sparked my sense of adventure. Even a layover wasn't a big deal as long as I had a good book or magazine to keep me busy. Nowadays, flying is much different.

Traveling to Albuquerque was an adventure all right. Trying to keep a 13-month-old out of trouble in an airport is impossible! I carried him in my Mai Tai through security and to our terminal but he was antsy, so once we reached the gate I took him out. When he saw his stroller, and since he loves to push anything that moves, he decided he needed to push his stroller up and down the hallway for 45 minutes until we had to board. At least it kept him busy for a while.

The airplane was a different story altogether. A toddler simply cannot be confined. When he realized he couldn't go out he decided the next best thing is up so he used my stomach and chest as a ladder to try to crawl over the seat. We did our best to occupy him with fun toys that sang and lit up but he was much more interested in unfastening my seat belt and unlatching the tray and smacking it back on the seat in front. Needless to say, it was one wild ride!

Of course, it wasn't until we were landing that he finally fell asleep. On our way to the baggage claim Allen suggested that maybe we should have driven. Not only do I hate road trips (due to horrible motion sickness) but the idea of spending 8 hours with Samuel strapped in a car seat, probably screaming, is much worse than a few hours of inconvenience. Will this experience deter us from flying? No way! I can't wait to do it all again.