Friday, October 15, 2010

Ma-ma's Boy

I know every mother thinks her child is the sweetest, cutest, most adorable thing God ever created, but I know mine is! For the last 6 months or so he has been very "pro-Mom." This is not to say that he is "anti-Dad," he and Allen get along great, it's just that when given the choice he usually prefers me. In fact, when he is upset or sleepy dad isn't even an option most of the time. I know I probably wont always be his favorite, fathers and sons have a very special and unique bond, but I will enjoy it while it lasts!

He is getting more expressive at showing his affection by giving hugs and initiating snuggles, but today he did something that really made me feel loved. He was straddling my lap, facing me and started to put his head down on my chest. In the process he smacked his surprisingly hard head on the bridge of my nose. I've been trying to teach him the sign "hurt" so I held my nose and said "Owie! Your head hit Mommy's nose. That hurt!" I continued to hold my nose to show him that's where my owie was and then signed "hurt" over and over again.

It must have sunk in because all of the sudden his eyebrows furrowed and he started to cry. I looked up at Allen, since I was confused as to why he was crying, and Allen told me he must be sad that I am hurt. He also started signing hurt (for the first time). I was flabbergasted that he not only learned a new sign but that this was his first demonstration of empathy. I immediately smiled, forgot my pain, and started to hug and comfort him. What a sweet and loving little boy!