Monday, October 25, 2010

The Great Pumpkin (Balloon)

Is Samuel too young for me to be nostalgic about things? Today we were shopping at Albertsons and noticed the Mylar balloons. Much to my surprise they had the exact same balloon that I bought Samuel last year on Halloween to celebrate his first holiday. It's a big, orange jack-o-lantern face and it's very special because while playing with it he laughed for the first time.

I remember that we laid him on his back in the floor so he could look up at the balloon. We kept encouraging him to hold the string, but at only 2 months old his dexterity wasn't really advanced enough. Instead, we just ran the string through his fingers.

I went in to the kitchen to finish making Halloween Funfetti cupcakes (Allen's favorite) and before I knew it Allen rushed in to tell me that Samuel had laughed. Of course I dropped everything so I could see. Allen had been bobbing the balloon up and down in front of his face and he started to giggle. When I came in we started moving the balloon around again and he continued to laugh. It was the most wonderful sound I'd ever heard (and still is)!

Happily, the same balloon continues to fill his world with joy. We bought the big, orange jack-o-lantern face today and brought it home. He carried it by the string all over the house, laughing, and loved bobbing it up and down all by himself. He even learned to say a new word yesterday - bop! He got a huge kick out it when I tapped the balloon on top of his head. Now when I say bop he pat's his head.

He sure has changed a lot in only one year!

Then:





Now: