Friday, October 2, 2015

Flashback Friday: Cars Galore!

My boys are car fanatics. Samuel, in particular, has always been fascinated by all varieties of cars, especially luxury sports cars (many that I'd never even heard of like Bugatti and Lotus).

By the age of three he could name almost every make and model of car we would see on the road. It's always been a main topic of our car trip conversation. In parking lots we regularly stop to admire cars and I lift him up to peek in the windows.

At home, our playroom is full of cars of all shapes and sizes, along with plenty of tracks and playsets. Everywhere you look, all over the house, you will find Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. They are beloved, but only if they are "real" cars. Samuel has no interest in the made up models that are created by Hot Wheels.

Now, Elijah has also developed a love of cars. He and Samuel spend endless hours driving cars on the road rug and setting up racing tracks. They will even simulate the video game "Need for Speed" by driving cars all over the house - up and down banisters, over the backs of the couches, even on the walls (to my chagrin).

This is one area where I am learning right along with them. I knew nearly nothing about cars before having my boys, but now I enthusiastically read car books, attend cars shows and watch NASCAR or Indy races. I love the opportunity to explore and cultivate their interests!



For this photo, taken October 25, 2012, I lined up just a fraction of Samuel's collection in an arc and left a spot so he could lay down. He thought that it was so fun and was able to lay very still while I took photos. I thought that it was be great to recreate the photo with Elijah, but I'm not sure he could lay as quietly. We may have a very different collection of photos at the end!