Friday, October 9, 2015

Lullaby & Goodnight

One of my favorite duties as Mom is singing the boys to sleep at night. Allen and I trade off on nightly jobs, so every other night I do the bath/story/singing routine. At the end of the day I usually feel pretty wiped out. Sometimes I even find my patience wearing thin and I may rush their baths or stories. But, once the lights go out and its time to sing to them I always slow down enjoy those few songs we share.

There is something very therapeutic in singing. I've never thought that I had a particularly good singing voice, but after practicing for the last 6 years it's surely improved. Regardless, the boys love it and that's all that matters to me.

Yesterday, while I was getting Elijah into his pajammy-jams he asked, "Mommy are you taking care tonight?" When I replied yes, he said, " Yay! Daddy doesn't sing the right songs." I laughed and asked what he meant, "Your songs are great! He doesn't sing my favorite songs." Allen has his own set of songs that he likes to sing, while I sing others.

When Samuel was born I made an effort to memorize some classic lullaby songs, as well as songs that I remember my mom singing to me as a child. I also mix in some love songs and silly children's songs. I have quite a collection of material now!

We start out with "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Jesus Loves Me", followed by prayers, then I ask them to choose three songs a piece for me to sing. First I lie down with Elijah and we snuggle while I sing. It usually takes him a little longer to settle down and lie quietly, which is why I start with him. He almost always chooses the same ones: "The Good Ship Lollipop", "Lullaby and Goodnight" (the version sung by Jewel), and "My Favorite Things."

Samuel likes those too, but will usually request "Lullaby and Goodnight",  "Hush Elijah & Samuel" (the version of "Hush Little Baby" by Sylvia Long), and "Teddy Bears Picnic." Samuel has several other favorites too, like "So Happy Together" (by The Turtles) or "My Guys" (I adapted the lyrics of The Temptations' "My Girl"). I sing others when the mood strikes, but these are definitely the long-standing favorites that I sing the most. A few of my favorites to sing are, "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" (by Sophie B. Hawkins), "House at Pooh Corner" (by Kenny Loggins), "The Bluest Eyes in Texas" (by Restless Heart), "I Can Only Imagine" (by MercyMe) and "1-2-3-4" (by The Plain White Tees).

Samuel also likes for me to climb into bed with him and snuggle up under the covers and I'm glad to oblige. I hope that our night routine will stay just like this for a least a few more years. In that stillness, the chaos of the day is forgotten and we just love on one another.