Monday, February 28, 2011

Samson

Well, we finally did it.... Samuel had his first haircut. I didn't think I would ever be ready to cut off his adorable ringlets, but he was constantly mistaken for a girl and he hated having his long hair washed and combed. I made a deal with Allen that after we had his 18 month professional photos taken that we would get his hair cut. Allen, of course, has been ready to have his hair cut for months. Understandably, since most Daddy's don't like their sons being called "pretty little girls."

Our biggest obstacle was finding a salon that didn't charge an astronomical amount. Most places we checked wanted $10-15 - for a baby! After a couple days of searching we eventually found a nice salon that only wanted $7 (much more reasonable).

Samuel did great during the cut. We worried that he would squirm too much and get scared. He is always firmly attached to me in the presence of strangers, so he sat on my lap facing my chest. He refused to wear the plastic cape so I wore it instead which upset him just a bit. I guess he didn't like me being all covered up and not as accessible. He was okay once he realized I could still give him reassuring hugs as needed.





He turned his head back and forth a little in the beginning but the stylist was able to move with him and got his trim finished in about 10 minutes. She even let him play with the water squirt bottle when she was done which made his day!







I have to say that Allen was right, he looks even more adorable with his new "surfer dude" look. I was mostly concerned that all his precious baby curls would be cut-off, never to return, but his hair is definitely wavy like mine. He still has plenty of curl and with his shorter locks it may be even more noticeable since it would often get frizzy before, especially after he woke up.

Here's his new rugged and handsome hairstyle. Watch out toddler ladies!





(We were getting Allen's contacts at Sam's Club, BTW)