Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Herd of Elephants

Today I hosted the first successful activity for my Mom's club. Yay for me! I've been trying to host an activity for my mom's club for quite a while now and it seems like I either chose the wrong day or no one likes me. I'm pretty sure it's not the later but either way I never get a good turn-out. Today all the stars aligned and I had 8 moms and 10 toddlers over to our house for a White Elephant Toy Exchange. I thought of this brilliant idea all by myself. I know Samuel has plenty of toys that he barely plays with and I assume most other kids do too so why not wrap one up to trade with another kid who might love it?

I wrapped up some of Samuel's big, fat Lego's since he would much rather play with any and every other toy that he owns. He isn't very interested in building with blocks at all right now, and when he does he prefers his Mega Blocks. Then, I prepared several delectable little holiday treats for us to snack on including chocolate cherry mini-muffins, gingerbread with cream cheese icing and candied ginger, Nutella cream cheese fruit dip with grapes, pears & strawberries, spinach and white cheddar cheese chicken sausage spiral wrapped in puff pastry. Yum! I really like to entertain and this was the perfect opportunity. After seeing the spread my friend Jennifer teased and called me Julia Child.

Of course, I probably should have thought through the menu a little more and made more kid-friendly snacks. By the time everyone left our entire downstairs was covered in little brown crumbs (from the cherry chocolate mini muffins and gingerbread). At least I got a new vacuum for Mother's Day that can power through any mess. Besides, a mess means that a lot of fun was had by all.

The moms had a great time chatting and catching up while the kids tore the house apart. Every toy was played with and plenty of noise was made. There was activity everywhere as busy little hands explored all the new things. The first gift Samuel selected in the White Elephant Exchange was a baby baseball game, but it was quickly "stolen" by another kiddo. Then he got a talking Elmo doll with Elmo cell phone. His friend Payton took a liking to his Elmo toys and Samuel was particularly engrossed with her magnetic doodle pad, so on behalf of the babies Susannah (Payton's mom) and I made the decision to trade. Everyone was happy!