Monday, December 20, 2010

BK with Santa

I've been having a little trouble getting into the "Christmas spirit" this year. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it's because Allen has been working non-stop this month. There have been some fun things happening in town but every activity has been on a day when he is working. Finally, I decided to do something with Samuel on my own. It's always more enjoyable to do things as a family and we miss Allen when he isn't with us, but sometimes it just works out that way for military families.

We went to have Breakfast with Santa at the Burger King on base. It's not much, but Samuel seemed to enjoy eating with Santa and the other kids. I've been feeling very torn about the whole Santa issue. Part of me doesn't want to teach Samuel to believe in something that isn't real. Also, I dislike the commercialization of Christmas. I want Samuel to know the real meaning of Christmas and for the focus to be on Jesus. Of course, most people (Allen included) think Santa Claus is just a part of childhood fun and to take that away would be wrong.

I guess we have another year to decide since by next year he will be much more aware of Santa and the Christmas festivities. One compromise may be to limit his exposure to Santa and all secular holiday activities. If we decide to go that route than this may his first and only Breakfast with Santa!