Friday, August 27, 2010

Mother's Little Helper

If imitation is truly the sincerest form of flattery then Allen and I have quite a little fan! Samuel loves to imitate everything we do even the most mundane activities. Here are some highlights....

The other day I was cleaning up crumbs from under the couch using a Swiffer cloth since somebody had a good time emptying his bowl of snack mix on the floor. I look next to me and Samuel is using one of the cloth squares from his Box 'O Squares (a container full of different textured fabric pieces) to help. If he's going to make a mess at least he cleans it up!

After his bath I comb his hair and then he tries to combs my bangs.

During diaper changes (or anytime he can get his hands on them) he pulls wipes out of the container. One after the other, after the other....

He's always loved to play with water bottles; they make a great crunchy sound and it's fun to watch the water swish around. Now he will hold them up to our mouths so we can have a drink.

He is very generous with his snacks, especially crackers. He will take a little nibble off the end and then hold it out for us to have a bite. It started with just crackers but now he offers most of his food to us. Either he's just really thoughtful or he doesn't like what's on the menu.

Our phones are an endless source of entertainment for Samuel. He pushes the buttons and chews on them (the numerous teeth scratches on my Blackberry screen are proof). Occasionally, he even calls someone. The other day he called Allen's friend Stephen. I saw he had the phone up to his ear and could hear someone saying "Hello?" as I got closer he held the phone out for me. Later that day he also called my friend Amber. Thanks for helping us keep in touch with our friends, sweetheart!

My personal favorite is when he "helps" me put the laundry away. He takes an item out, examines it, then flings it over his shoulder with reckless abandon. Then he moves on to the next item in the basket. He does this with newly washed clothes and even with the clothes that are folded in his drawers. I guess I'm getting a preview of what his room will look like in 15 years.

Here he is helping me sort his 18 month clothes (note the pile he threw behind him):