Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Birthday Blues

I know that it may be unfair to admit this, but this is my blog so I can do what I want. Samuel's 6th birthday makes me sad. How is it possible that he's so grown up? I adore him. He's so smart and silly, but my favorite part of our relationship is how affectionate and loving he is with me. He never misses an opportunity to snuggle or give hugs and kisses. I can't help but think that each year he grows up that he will become less interested in his mommy's affection.

For the second year in a row the first day of school falls very close to his birthday, so I think that maybe I am experiencing emotional overload. Most moms have a little more time to process the passing of time. For me it's another grade year and another year older all crammed together. This year he is attending 1st grade at Forest Avenue Academic Magnet Elementary. It's a school for children that demonstrate the ability to handle an advanced academic curriculum, so he will be learning at a 2nd grade level. This jump is even more intense that the regular transition from Kindergarten to 1st. It's abundantly clear that he is expected to be big boy now. :tear:

Despite feeling a little melancholy, I still love to celebrate birthdays for my boys. It's the one day of the year that I can really spoil them and show them how special that they are to me, so it's not hard to get excited. I spent the prior evening decorating the breakfast area with streamers, balloons and a banner. This year, we weren't planning a party with his friends so I wanted to make the house look festive for him. Allen and I agreed that the boys should start taking turns each year having a large celebration. Samuel had a large party for his 5th birthday, so this year it was Elijah's turn. We would celebrate with Samuel at home and take him to do a fun activity on the weekend.

I woke up a little early so I could make him some confetti pancakes for breakfast. Defnitely a step up from Cheerios and yogurt.

















He had school during the day so I provided cupcakes and juice for him to share with his class. While he was at school, Elijah and I did some more decorating.





















His special birthday cake request was a birthday cake in the shape of the world with the Teen Titans on top. I did my best.... ha ha!























For dinner we had a "Pizza Party," which is a running theme on the boys' favorite cartoon Teen Titans GO!


















Afterwards, he opened gifts from us, Elijah, Aunt JuJu and his grandparents. He has become really interested in Playmobil sets, so he received several that were purchased with the money from his birthday cards. The interest in Playmobil is actually a bit surprising and exciting. They are the first toys that he's wanted that encourage imaginative play. Most of his other favorites, like Legos, Snap Circuits and car/train tracks, are building and construction based.

















We ended our family party by watching a few Teen Titans GO! episodes and playing with his new toys. Everyone had a really nice time. Thankfully, I still have 360 days to mentally prepare for birthday #7. I hope that's enough time.

(Just goofin' off)