Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sick-y Snuggles

As a parent, there is nothing worse than watching your child suffer. Thankfully, Samuel has never had more than a cold or short-lived virus, but even those can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.

Currently, he has an ear infection that is making him downright miserable. In the past his illnesses have not changed his behavior much, just a little more fussing, but this time the accompanying fever has made him lethargic.

It all started on Friday evening. Allen was on alert so I took him to Kid's Night Out at the Methodist church to have dinner and see a movie with my friend Shannon. He had been acting fine all day and there was no reason for concern. In the three hours he was there his temperature skyrocketed. By the time I picked him up he was a firecracker. I was upset that the church didn't call to let me know, but with the several other kids in the room I guess it's possible that they just didn't notice.

I took his temperature right away when we got home and it was 103 degrees. The nurse I talked to on the Tricare hotline told me to try to keep him comfortable and let the fever work its way through his body. As long as he slept, ate and stayed hydrated there was no need for medication. In the past we have always given Ibuprofen when he was feverish so this was new. I guess it makes sense because fevers are so much more dangerous for infants and now he is a toddler.

He slept through the night but when he woke the next morning he would not let me out of his sight. We went downstairs to the couch and he laid right on top of me. He slept in my arms throughout the day or watched episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba, Sesame Street (Elmo's World) and Caillou while I read a book. He was so sad! On the few occasions that I had to get up to make a meal or use the restroom I would place him on top of his Brobee pillow and he would lay on the couch moaning, "Ma-ma" over and over again.

The next day was exactly the same except that Allen was home too. Samuel didn't seek much comfort from his dad, but it was still nice to have his help and support. About the only thing Samuel was willing to eat was tubes of yogurt that we froze or fruit cups, but at least he was eating. Finally the fever broke and he started eating more solid foods like ravioli. Yesterday (Monday) we were able to take him to the doctor to get medication and now he is acting fine again.

I am always happy to be needed and adored by my little boy, although I hate when he is feeling bad. I just hope that he always knows, no matter how old he is, that my arms are wide open to comfort and heal him with Mommy's hugs!

On the couch with Mommy:







At Walmart to get his meds and a few groceries: